Torrence cut

Nov 8, 2008, 5:31 PM EST

Comments Off

The ax has fallen on Leigh Torrence.

The cornerback has been cut to clear a roster spot for DeAngelo Hall, who signed with the Redskins on Saturday.

This move is somewhat surprising. One would think that if a cornerback was going to get cut it would the rookie Justin Tryon. The fourth-round selection has played sparingly while Torrence has served ably as a nickel back while Shawn Springs has been hobbled by various injuries this year and after Carlos Rogers suffered a season-ending knee injury in 2007.

The fact that Tryon made the 53-man roster in September raised some eyebrows and the fact that he was kept over a fairly well-established nickel back will raise some more. Apparently the thinking was that Tryon had more upside potential than did Torrence and that justified keeping him as the fifth CB.

1. Boss Hog - Nov 8, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Brutal. Doesn’t make sense to me. I’d have moved at least 10 guys before I got to Torrence. I still like thie DeAngelo move, but this leaves a bitter taste in my mouth…

2. Thought - Nov 8, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Torrence does have that play in the Rams game, but that shouldn’t have led to his release. He was really a guy whose improvements I was happy with. Hopefully, he can find a job somewhere and this doesn’t spell the end of his career.

3. dr wnc - Nov 8, 2008 at 6:46 PM

As wrong as ever, and it is a surprise to me too. Tryon’s speed or practice performance must be showing something…
    then again if he doesn’t become a solid starter in about 3 NFL seasons wouldn’t it be time to stay younger than to stay with established and a solid backup?
    That’s where Torrence is at this point in his career.
    The Redskins have 4 top corners, Rodgers, Springs, Smoot and Hall 2 of the 4 are young enough to be members of the Redskins for many years, maybe giving Torrence an opportunity to catch on and play elsewhere while seeing if Tryon can be NFL caliber.
    We are talking about the 5th corner, with a couple of young corners on the practice squad. When I think of it that way it had to be a corner to release when signing a corner…

4. Thought - Nov 8, 2008 at 7:28 PM

dr wnc, I respectfully disagree. I think that we should keep the best players on our team at all times. Maybe Tyron has been improving in practice, but I doubt that since if he had been, he would probably be getting some playing time in games. The Redskins may be looking at Tyron as a potential guy, but we could have easily just cut him and put him on the practice squad. Do we really need Westbrook too?

I do want Torrence to get a shot somewhere else, but that shouldn’t have been the Redskins deciding factor, as its pretty hard to get on a roster and have an impact this late in the season – so he probably won’t be able to sign until January.

5. dr wnc - Nov 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM

Well clearly wrong thinking, but is it as simple as keeping the best player when we are talking the Number 5 corner or do you keep the best prospect since it’s the number 5 corner;
    (Any member of the practice squad is no safer than any released player, only players on the active roster at this point of the season)

6. Skudge - Nov 9, 2008 at 1:35 AM

I didn’t expect it, but in retrospect, I think it makes sense.

Torrence is probably at the height of his skills, and it probably means he’s never going to be more than so-so. Whenever he’s on the field, the opposing QB looks for him.

So with Hall to cover Torrence’s spot, you have the luxury to develop Tryon, who may well become a good DB. And may well need to actually replace a departed Springs, or even Hall next year.

7. Glenn A - Nov 9, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Torrence consistantly gets penalties to over come his lake of coverage skills. Look at the number of penalties compared to his minutes played. He opens his mouth (Jim Haslett) when he shouldn’t. He has virtually no long term upside besides special teams. Let the rookie develop, insinuationg Cerato wants to keep HIS picks is not applicable here. Good Riddance.