Jun 2, 2008, 5:41 PM EDT
The Washington Redskins further bolstered the safety position by signing ex -Raider Stuart Schweigert. Here's the press release, more later.
Ashburn, VA – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent safety Stuart Schweigert (pronounced Shwi-gert).
In addition, the team released linebacker Rian Wallace.
Schweigert (6-2, 210) played his first four NFL seasons with the Oakland Raiders (2004-07). He was released by Oakland on May 21, 2008. In 63 career games (42 starts), he compiled 315 tackles, four interceptions and 18 passes defensed.His best season occurred in 2006, when he totaled a career-best 107 tackles and four passes defensed in 16 games. Last season, he totaled 69 tackles and tied his career-high with two interceptions in 15 contests.
Schweigert originally entered the NFL as a third-round draft pick (67th overall) with Oakland out of Purdue. He was named a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award and totaled a school-record 17 interceptions at Purdue (besting the previous mark of 11 picks set by Rod Woodson)
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Wk 16 game time vs. Eagles subject to change
- 5 pivotal 2014 Redskins games
- When will Jackson face Eagles and how will he fare? (VIDEO)
- Breaking down the Redskins 2014 schedule (VIDEO)
- Schedule Release: Predicting the Redskins' 2014 games
- Redskins 2014 Schedule: Dates, times officially released
- We (reportedly) have 1/8 of the Redskins 2014 schedule
- Redskins Pulse: NFL schedule released
- RG3 will drive at RIR on Saturday
- Who will assume Fletcher's leadership role on the Redskins?