Is Justin Hamilton more than camp fodder?

Jun 2, 2008, 7:11 AM EDT

The Washington Redskins signed safety Justin Hamilton, who was out of the league in 2007, on Friday. Normally, that’s all the mention that the acquisition of a street free agent would merit. But Hamilton may, just may, be more than mere camp fodder.

Hamilton is 6-3, 217 and at the 2006 combine he ran 4.55 in the 40. He is a product of Virginia Tech. As a Hokie, he played running back and receiver his first couple of seasons before switching to defense. The Cleveland Browns drafted him in the sixth round and he made the team with a role playing special teams, as many low-round draftees do. In 10 games, he recorded 15 tackles.

In the final round of cuts in 2007, Hamilton was let go. The team said that he was injured in the final preseason game and, although it was only supposed to keep him sidelined for a month, they reached an injury settlement and waived him. That left the team with three safeties, a very low number on a 53-man roster.

I did some poking around to try to find out the nature of his injury. And I found nothing definitive. Someone said it was a knee tweak. Chris Pokorny of Dawgs by Nature told me that the team never said but he thought it might have been a back problem.

The nature of the release would allow him to return to the Browns at any time during the season. And, when Gary Baxter, who was considered the fourth safety, went on injured reserve, those occupying the Dawg Pound thought it was a no-brainer to re-up Hamilton. But he remained unemployed despite the generally dismal state of the Cleveland defense.

And he stayed out of football until the end of May when the Redskins picked him up.

Sometimes there are valid reasons why a guy is out of the league for a year. Sometimes there are not. Gregg Williams used to love to say that there were hundreds of players on the street who, given the right role with the right team, could play.

Hamilton has the size and, if he hasn’t lost more than half a step, the speed to play in the NFL. Whatever the nature of his 2007 injury was, it would seem to be something that could heal in eight months. There are no off-field issues that we know of. He could compete for a roster spot.

The tea leaves indicate to me that the knee of sixth-round safety Kareem Moore, which was scoped just after the draft, is not recovering as well as the Redskins would hope.

1. Joe in Raleigh - Jun 2, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Well, if he’s a Skin and he can play I guess I won’t hold it against him that he went to Tech. Not everyone can go to UVA.

Ha ha ha. Sorry Rich.

Joe

2. Joe in Raleigh - Jun 2, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Ha ha ha. Sorry Rich.

Joe

3. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2008 at 6:51 PM

considering we just signed schweigert, i would say hamilton shouldnt go out and buy a house in washington just yet…

shally

4. Anonymous - Jun 2, 2008 at 6:51 PM

shally

5. David Alison - Jun 2, 2008 at 8:33 PM

I’m with Shally on this one. Schweigert could be a strong contender and has starting experience.

6. David Alison - Jun 2, 2008 at 8:33 PM

7. Rich Tandler - Jun 3, 2008 at 7:05 AM

Actually, Joe, I’m not one of those Hokie fans that hates UVa. My sister and one of my brothers graduated from there so I have a degree of respect for Mr. Jefferson’s University. . .

. . .as an institution of higher learning. As a football program? Four in a row, eight of the last nine! ‘Nuff said!

8. Rich Tandler - Jun 3, 2008 at 7:05 AM

9. Anonymous - Aug 8, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Hopefully the skins will keep Justin this time. If given the opportunity to play, everyone will see why. Justin will definitely be a great addition to the team! Go 23!

10. Anonymous - Aug 8, 2008 at 10:38 AM

11. Anonymous - Aug 8, 2008 at 11:19 AM

I had seen Hamilton play a couple of times, both pro and collge. And when he was picked up again I did some quick research. It looks like he is very versitle and his coaches always carried a very high opinion of him. He also seems like the smart type that can pick up things very quickly.

I have been a long time fan of Zorn’s. I wonder if he saw a little of himself in this kid.

12. Anonymous - Aug 8, 2008 at 11:19 AM

13. Anonymous - Aug 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM

He is a physical beast, watch and see…

14. Anonymous - Aug 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM

He is a physical beast, watch and see…

15. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2008 at 1:16 PM

Justin Hamilton has been a strong contender, and he showed it last night in the pre-season game against the Bills. If they don’t hold onto this powerhouse then shame on the Redskins.

16. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2008 at 1:16 PM

17. Rich Tandler - Aug 10, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I like Hamilton, too. But there has to be a reason why this “powerhouse” was out of football in 2007 and already cut by the Redskins once in 2008.

We will see. He has to beat out one of the two late-round safeties that the Skins drafted last year so he has a tough road to hoe.

But as you see from the earlier comments here, some thought that Schweigert was a lock (and I was one of them), so things can change in a hurry.

18. Rich Tandler - Aug 10, 2008 at 1:58 PM