Jan 10, 2007, 8:48 PM EDT
Sometimes the best deals are the ones that you don’t make. One in that category certainly would be any trade that removes Clinton Portis from the Redskins roster. It’s good to know that Ladell Betts can tote the rock, but he isn’t the home run threat that Portis is and you’d like your prime back to put the ball on the ground less often than he does. During the playoff run last year Portis was the heart, soul, and guts of an offense playing with one wide receiver and a gimpy, limp-armed quarterback. Washington goes nowhere without him. Even if you were inclined to trade him you couldn’t get anywhere near full value for him coming off of two injuries. Look around the league, you’ll find plenty of very productive RB tandems like Jones and Barber in Dallas, Jones and Benson in Chicago, Bush and McAllister in New Orleans, and Addia and Rhodes in Indy.
You can read the rest of this blog at its new home at http://blog.redskinsgames.com
Follow Us On Twitter
- Who will take the Redskins' open roster spot?
- Redskins Park notes and quotes--Gruden says comebacks wins will come for Cousins
- Gruden joins STL to discuss the tough loss in Philly (VIDEO)
- Week 3 stats: Kirk Cousins is playing out of his mind
- DHall on injury: 'It is what it is' (VIDEO)
- Gruden thinks Cousins had great learning experience (VIDEO)
- Gruden admits he's been 'hasty' with the challenge flag (VIDEO)
- Jay Gruden is not a fan of Thursday games
- Gruden thinks there was no bad intent with Baker hit (VIDEO)
- Redskins are one player short on 53-man roster