Dec 22, 2005, 8:11 AM EDT
As I was watching the game on Tivo the other night, that play reminded me of something I’d seen a long time ago. So, tonight I pulled out my bootleg DVD copy of the 1982 NFC championship game. On the Redskins first offensive play, John Riggins took a handoff and headed towards a similar moving wall. Riggo slammed into the mass of humanity and picked up a gain of six. That also set the tone for the physical domination that the Redskins would enjoy all day long.
What this says is that towards the end of his second season, this is finally a Joe Gibbs team. He started as an offensive line coach and, to him, that’s where offense begins. When most teams design a pass play the emphasis is on pass patterns and timing; for Gibbs, it’s how to protect the quarterback. That’s when passing is necessary, of course. He would rather run the ball and when Jansen, Dockery, Thomas, Rabach, Samuels and, now, Ray Brown are firing out and pushing the other team back, it’s not hard to have a heavy dose of that in the game plan.
A month ago, the Redskins were on pace to give up as many sacks this season as they did in 2003, when Steve Spurrier’s pass protection schemes drew so much criticism. You don’t hear that talk any more after three straight games that were essentially sack-free. The one sack against the Redskins’ record came on that safety in St. Louis, a miscue between Portis and Mark Brunell more than a leak in the O-line.
Gibbs has been back for a while now. It has taken almost two seasons for his teams to catch up with him. Now, to the rest of the NFL, Gibbs is ba-ack.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Griffin glad he doesn't have to worry about getting enough reps
- Redskins' Hatcher: Knee is 'progressing pretty quickly'
- Redskins training camp practice report, Day 1: A soggy start
- RG3: 'Good thing to have two coaches that believe in you'
- RG3: 'You can never get tired of doing things the right way'
- Andre Roberts opens camp as punt and kickoff returner
- DeAngelo Hall compares himself to NFL's best cornerbacks (VIDEO)
- DeAngelo Hall on Redskins: 'We all got a chip on our shoulders'
- Ray Rice suspended for two games
- OPEN THREAD: What's the right media strategy for RG3?