Nov 6, 2005, 4:33 PM EST
In this space earlier this week, I took a bit of a shot at Philadelphia coach Andy Reid for not dealing with the Terrell Owens situation:
Apparently, Reid is continuing his laissez-faire approach to Owens and letting TO be TO and did not comment on the comments by Trotter and Kearse. Reid takes the “they’re grown men, let them handle it” philosophy. When you’re winning, that’s the enlightened approach; when you’re not, the inmates are running the asylum.
Now, he has dealt with it by suspending Owens indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team. Certainly, he should be commended for putting his foot down.
What is odd, however is that the suspension apparently stems from this remark about the Eagles PR staff failing to recognize his 100th career TD reception:
“That right there just shows you the type of class and integrity that they claim not to be,” said Owens, who became the sixth receiver in NFL history to reach the milestone. “They claim to be first class and the best organization. It’s an embarrassment. It just shows a lack of class they have. My publicist talked to the head PR guy and they made an excuse they didn’t recognize that was coming up. But that was a blatant lie. Had it been somebody else they probably would have popped fireworks around the stadium.”
It doesn’t appear that the suspension came from his remarks critical of quarterback Donovan McNabb. That’s because those have been going on since shortly after the Eagles’ Super Bowl loss and have continued, both overtly and subtly, throughout the past nine months.
The message from Reid here is this: It’s OK to beat up on my quarterback all you want; question his heart, question his ability, go to town on him. But you bust on my PR staff, well, that’s the last straw, you’re gone
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' challenge will be keeping Griffin upright
- Redskins-Eagles: Fantasy to believe DeSean Jackson rocks Week 16?
- Griffin, Redskins have a lot to prove vs. Philly
- Jason Hatcher out, Keenan Robinson doubtful for Redskins
- Redskins place Brandon Meriweather on IR
- Redskins draft prospect watch: New Orleans Bowl
- The fans help predict Redskins vs. Eagles
- Redskins draft prospect watch: New Mexico Bowl
- The Redskins' RG3 option decision will be an easy one
- Redskins cut it close with salary cap