Mar 27, 2005, 12:39 AM EDT
No news is, well, no news. That’s the non-story of the Courtney Brown wait. From the Washington Post:
Defensive end Courtney Brown kept his suitors in suspense for another day by informing them yesterday he needed more time, according to sources familiar with the situation.
It seems that nobody, either inside or outside of the walls of Redskins Park, is exactly holding his breath over Brown’s decision. He could be a nice addition to the defensive end rotation, if he’s healthy. Brown’s presence could give his good friend LaVar Arrington a nice boost, if Brown is healthy.
The healthy part, as if you didn’t already know or couldn’t figure it out, is the rub. The first overall pick in the ’00 draft hasn’t been able to stay on the field and the teams expressing interest in him don’t want to pay him if his history repeats itself. It’s likely that he’s holed up with his agent this weekend, sorting through what has to be a bewildering array of legalese.
According to a source who spoke to Brown yesterday, the top overall pick in the 2000 draft spent several hours Wednesday night and yesterday grilling agent Marvin Demoff with detailed questions about his options. Demoff, who also represents Gregg Williams — Washington’s assistant head coach of defense — didn’t return a call yesterday. Each suitor gave Brown, who has missed 33 games in five seasons, an offer with incentives tied to his health.
Not everyone is completely disintrested. Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan, whose Broncos are considered to be the other main suitor for Brown’s services, both personally called Brown on Friday, trying to make a final pitch to get him to come on board with their respective teams.
Among those other teams in the bidding are Denver and Jacksonville. Let him take his time. This decision is much more critical for him than it is for the future of the Redskins, or of any of the other teams he’s looking at.
We know that the paint will dry eventually.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Riggo on the Range: Southern fried bass (VIDEO)
- Redskins' LB Brian Orakpo encouraged by scheme tweaks
- Top 5: Skins already looking ahead to 2015 free agents?
- CSN's Redskins draft board: Tight end
- Need to Know: The five best Redskins performances of the last 20 seasons
- RG3, DeSean Jackson share a night out on the town (PHOTO)
- OPEN THREAD: RG3 back in old form?
- Chris Baker happy to be back with the Redskins (VIDEO)
- Brian Orakpo previews 2014 defense(VIDEO)
- CSN Mock Draft 9.0: Redskins go offense or defense?