Mar 27, 2005, 12:39 AM EDT
No news is, well, no news. That’s the non-story of the Courtney Brown wait. From the Washington Post:
Defensive end Courtney Brown kept his suitors in suspense for another day by informing them yesterday he needed more time, according to sources familiar with the situation.
It seems that nobody, either inside or outside of the walls of Redskins Park, is exactly holding his breath over Brown’s decision. He could be a nice addition to the defensive end rotation, if he’s healthy. Brown’s presence could give his good friend LaVar Arrington a nice boost, if Brown is healthy.
The healthy part, as if you didn’t already know or couldn’t figure it out, is the rub. The first overall pick in the ’00 draft hasn’t been able to stay on the field and the teams expressing interest in him don’t want to pay him if his history repeats itself. It’s likely that he’s holed up with his agent this weekend, sorting through what has to be a bewildering array of legalese.
According to a source who spoke to Brown yesterday, the top overall pick in the 2000 draft spent several hours Wednesday night and yesterday grilling agent Marvin Demoff with detailed questions about his options. Demoff, who also represents Gregg Williams — Washington’s assistant head coach of defense — didn’t return a call yesterday. Each suitor gave Brown, who has missed 33 games in five seasons, an offer with incentives tied to his health.
Not everyone is completely disintrested. Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan, whose Broncos are considered to be the other main suitor for Brown’s services, both personally called Brown on Friday, trying to make a final pitch to get him to come on board with their respective teams.
Among those other teams in the bidding are Denver and Jacksonville. Let him take his time. This decision is much more critical for him than it is for the future of the Redskins, or of any of the other teams he’s looking at.
We know that the paint will dry eventually.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Adam Schefter: Kirk Cousins contract extension 'too difficult to do'
- What Andrew Luck's new monster contract means for Kirk Cousins
- What is Kirk Cousins trying to say with this anniversary tweet
- Redskins true or false: Josh Norman will repeat as an All-Pro
- Position preview: Redskins looking for a Plan B at center
- Cowboys draft pick looks unlikely to play in 2016
- Need to Know: Three Redskins up, three down from a year ago
- Is Joe Flacco the best player on the Ravens and the Redskins?
- Chick Hernandez considers RG3 one of the biggest hurdles for Skins in 2016
- Redskins position preview: Defensive line