Mar 1, 2005, 11:13 PM EDT
Chris Samuels has signed a contract extension with the Redskins. From the Washington Post
The Washington Redskins reached agreement today with left tackle Chris Samuels on a contract extension, sources said, providing the team with more flexibility under the salary cap to pursue free agents.
There is no word yet as to the details of the contract, only that the signing bonus will be the “biggest in team history” according to my source. Keep in mind, however, when seeing the amount of the bonus that Samuels was due to receive some $5.2 million in salary in 2005. The deal almost certainly guarantees all or most of that to spread out the cap impact. The guaranteed salary will be lumped into the signing bonus and, on paper, Samuels’ 2005 base pay will be somwhere around the league minimum. So, when you see his signing bonus, think “SB + 2005 salary” and it won’t seem quite as shocking.
It also appears that, despite some rumors that have been going around, the Laveranues Coles for Santanna Moss trade, like the parrott in the Monte Python skit, is still dead.
But, with the NFL free agency period beginning at midnight, a last-ditch effort to revive a trade that would send disgruntled wide receiver Laveranues Coles to the New York Jets appears to have been abandoned, increasing the chances that Coles would remain with the team next season.
Should Coles stay and if the Samuels deal saves $7 million in the cap, the number that most have estimated would be saved based on the paramaters being discussed, that would leave the Redskins about $13 million under the cap. We all know that at midnight tonight that money will be burning a hole in Dan Snyder’s pocket.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Is Joe Flacco the best player on the Ravens and the Redskins?
- Chick Hernandez considers RG3 one of the biggest hurdles for Skins in 2016
- Redskins position preview: Defensive line
- Loss to Ryan’s Eagles spurred Gibbs, Redskins to last title
- Need to Know: Ranking the Redskins' rookies—Who will have the most impact in 2016?
- Kirk Cousins talks hand size, marvels at Russell Wilson
- Report: Former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan to host Donald Trump fundraiser
- 'Full steam ahead' - Kirk Cousins focused on football, not contracts
- Redskins position preview: Outside linebackers
- Red zone, 3rd improvement will be hard to come by for Redskins' offense