Feb 21, 2005, 10:10 PM EDT
In remarks broadcast on SportsTalk 980, Joe Gibbs denied a Washington Post report that the release of receiver Laveranues Coles was imminent. According to Gibbs, the story by Nunyo Demasio was not true:
The story referring to LC is inaccurate and not true. . .
Yeah, it says we’re going to release him; that’s in accurate and it’s not true.
When asked if Coles would definitely be on the team next year, Gibbs equivocated only slightly:
My statement is how I feel about it and I’m making plans and we’re going forward with what we have and [Coles] is part of those plans.
The door for Coles leaving is left open more than just a crack here. There’s plenty of room for the 5-11, 193-lb receiver to slip out of in Gibbs’ statement there.
Demasio, in an interview on the radio station, stood by the story. While he said that he may have been off on some details, the bottom line, according to Demasio, is that Coles will not play with the team in 2005. He said his sources were in both Coles’ camp and among team officials.
He said the Coles himself was not a source; apparently, Joe Gibbs was not either.
Follow Us On Twitter
- RG3 appears in new TV ad, pulls a fast one on Sam Bradford
- RG3, Jackson receive awards at annual Redskins luncheon
- Wife of McCloughan apologizes for 'disparaging remarks' about ESPN reporter
- Tandler predicts the 53-man roster on Redskins Nation
- Jeff Bostic joins Redskins Nation to talk about entering Ring of Fame
- Garcon thinks RG3 can be great 'on any team he goes'
- As final cuts loom, how many Redskins are roster locks?
- Fantasy Football: Updated top 150 rankings
- OPEN THREAD: Have we seen the last of RG3 on Redskins?
- The QB won't matter if special teams don't improve