Feb 21, 2005, 10:10 PM EDT
In remarks broadcast on SportsTalk 980, Joe Gibbs denied a Washington Post report that the release of receiver Laveranues Coles was imminent. According to Gibbs, the story by Nunyo Demasio was not true:
The story referring to LC is inaccurate and not true. . .
Yeah, it says we’re going to release him; that’s in accurate and it’s not true.
When asked if Coles would definitely be on the team next year, Gibbs equivocated only slightly:
My statement is how I feel about it and I’m making plans and we’re going forward with what we have and [Coles] is part of those plans.
The door for Coles leaving is left open more than just a crack here. There’s plenty of room for the 5-11, 193-lb receiver to slip out of in Gibbs’ statement there.
Demasio, in an interview on the radio station, stood by the story. While he said that he may have been off on some details, the bottom line, according to Demasio, is that Coles will not play with the team in 2005. He said his sources were in both Coles’ camp and among team officials.
He said the Coles himself was not a source; apparently, Joe Gibbs was not either.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Wk 16 game time vs. Eagles subject to change
- 5 pivotal 2014 Redskins games
- When will Jackson face Eagles and how will he fare? (VIDEO)
- Breaking down the Redskins 2014 schedule (VIDEO)
- Schedule Release: Predicting the Redskins' 2014 games
- Redskins 2014 Schedule: Dates, times officially released
- We (reportedly) have 1/8 of the Redskins 2014 schedule
- Redskins Pulse: NFL schedule released
- RG3 will drive at RIR on Saturday
- Who will assume Fletcher's leadership role on the Redskins?