Dec 31, 2004, 12:16 AM EDT
Well, last week it was playoff scenarios. We now go quickly to looking at where the Redskins might draft.
Unlike playoff tiebreakers, which tries to identify factors that indicate that one team with the same record as another was inferior, the draft tiebreakers try to identify the worse of the tied teams. The NFL does that by positioning tied teams in inverse order of their strength of schedule. In other words, the team that played the weaker schedule will get to draft ahead of a team with the same record that had a weaker strength of schedule. Things like head to head and conference or division record have no bearing on deciding draft order
Thanks again to Kevin Mac on WarpathInsiders.com for doing the nitty-gritty work to come up with the following information:
Team Wins SOS* Next week
- 1 SanFran 2 113 Patriots
- 2 Cleveland 3 140 Houston
- 3 Tennessee 4 124 Detroit
- 4 Miami 4 130 Baltimore
- 5 Arizona 5 108 Tampa
- 6 Tampa 5 113 Arizona
- 7 Chicago 5 113 Packers
- 8 Wash 5 115 Vikings
- 9 Giants 5 124 Dallas
- 10 Oakland 5 138 Jags
- 11 Detroit 6 120 Titans
- 12 Dallas 6 121 Giants
Sorry that this doesn’t come up very clearly, but the sites that this blog appears on just don’t handle tables well. Still, you can see the draft position if the season ended today, the team name, the number of wins it has, the number of combined wins its opponents has (note that this was done before the Monday night game between Philly and the Rams) and its opponent on Sunday.
If the Redskins lose on Sunday, it’s possible but unlikely that they will draft third, depending on if Miami and Tennessee both win and how the opponents of the other teams that finish in the five-win pool do. A position in the six hole is more likely.
If Redskins win on Sunday they probably will draft somewhere in the 8 to 10 range as it’s unlikely that the SOS for Detroit and Dallas will drop enough to get to be more favorable than that of the Redskins and some other teams will five losses will also win, getting the Redskins into the mix with those teams as well.
No official “root for” list for this game, but I just wanted to make you aware of the situation.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Forbath survives rookie Hocker's challenge
- After a big round of cuts, Redskins' roster is coming together
- Big surprises at running back for the Redskins
- 5 under the radar Redskins who will be playmakers in 2014
- McCoy: 'I think this offense fits me well' (VIDEO)
- ICYMI: Ride alongs, dancing, and velour track suit
- Washington Redskins roster cuts tracker
- Redskins ILB Will Compton feels 'confident' about chances
- Some clarity in Meriweather suspension expected today
- Final Redskins roster projection--Defense