Dec 27, 2004, 1:46 AM EDT
Brian Mitchell went off on Sean Taylor and Clinton Portis on Comcast Sports Net’s post game show.
Here is his central rant transcribed:
Players. . .we look and we see things. We’d try something and the coach would say ‘don’t do that’. And then the other guys do it and you let them go and then you say they’re showing favoritism. That begins to separate a football team. . .I played the game and I know how it is.
I guarantee you there are players on this team that see those guys doing their own thing and nobody is saying anything about it. I talk to a lot of people and I know things and there are people who are sick and tired of it. But they can’t say anything because people who tell them don’t say anything.
The fact is. . .I started here as a Redskin. . .When I played here we busted our butts, we had a lot of tradition and we cared about what we did. . . I’m not going to sit here and let two people come in and think that they’re going to change the whole framework of this organization.
Coach Gibbs, when I was late for a practice in 1991, he told me ‘get you a new alarm clock, you have to do things right–you’re a man now—or you’re going to be going home.’ He had that type of firmness with me and he made me a better player. He needs to the same thing with Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor. They’re not bigger than the team.
The same thing you would preach over and over again to Art Monk and all of us, that no player on that team was bigger than any other. The same thing needs to be said to these guys, or somebody on the team like myself needs to get in their faces and tell them, you’re not bigger than the team, you’re never going to be bigger than the team.
Until you do that, you’re going to have losing seasons and losing games with guys running this team who shouldn’t be.
The Blog intends to ask around to get the impressions of others close to the team on this matter. Stay tuned.
Follow Us On Twitter
- McCloughan says he prefers low-mileage running backs
- McCloughan may use extra 2017 picks to deal for players this year
- McCloughan reveals where the Redskins will line up Cravens in base defense
- Redskins release eight players on first Monday following draft
- Former Redskins DT Stubblefield charged with raping disabled woman
- Redskins release rehabbing Chris Culliver, Scot McCloughan says
- DeAngelo Hall on Josh Norman: 'I was all about trying to get him'
- Kirk Cousins on long-term deal: 'I want to go out and earn it'
- 3 things to know about Redskins first round pick Josh Doctson
- 'Grateful,' 'Proud' and 'Too blessed:' Rookies are thrilled to be Redskins