Dec 26, 2004, 2:02 PM EDT
In his Sunday Column Dan Daly examines the premise that the Redskins might be one of the least exciting teams ever:
- Nothing much seems to happen in Redskins games. Ever notice that? Joe Gibbs’ offense doesn’t score a lot, and Gregg Williams’ defense doesn’t give up a lot. In fact, only 443 points have been scored, total, in their first 14 games — an average of 31.6 (or about 10 below the league norm).
Daly checked back to 1978, when a round of major rules changes that helped scoring went into effect, to see which teams had averaged the fewest total points scored and given up per game. Here is his top (or bottom) ten:
(Note: PF = Points For; PA = Points Against; PerG = Points Per Game.)
Yr. Team PF PA PerG
- ’93 Bears 234 230 29.0
- ’78 Broncos 282 198 30.0
- ’82 Seahawks* 127 147 30.4
- ’00 Ravens 333 165 31.1
- ’79 Chiefs 238 262 31.3
- ’78 Bucs 241 259 31.3
- ’94 Cardinals 235 267 31.4
- ’99 Bucs 270 235 31.6
- ’98 Eagles 161 344 31.6
- ’04 Redskins 209 234 31.6
* Nine-game strike season
This is not necessarily to be interpreted as a swipe at the Redskins. Daly is careful to note:
“Least Exciting,” by the way, doesn’t necessarily mean bad. The ’00 Ravens, after all, won the Super Bowl, and four other teams on the list made the playoffs.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Kirk Cousins is excited about Jamison Crowder's growth, Josh Doctson's potential
- Quality of Redskins' receiving corps may hinge on Doctson's learning curve
- Redskins teammates give Jordan Reed a hard time for new big-money contract
- Redskins' David Bruton excited to get 'first crack' at starting safety job
- Months later, Redskins ILB Perry Riley still battling foot injury
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'