Dec 20, 2004, 6:33 PM EDT
In his Morning After Week 15 piece on ESPN.com, Len Pasquarelli quotes an NFL scout as saying:
‘There are a lot of mid-level players who have helped themselves in the free agent market for next spring and one of them is (Washington) linebacker Antonio Pierce. Yeah, I know, teams aren’t going to pay big money for a middle ‘backer, and a guy who was just a special teams player before this year. But, you watch, Pierce will get a decent deal from somebody who wants a guy who is pretty active and who has demonstrated he’s more than just a run-stuffer.’
It’s hard to disagree. The Skins need to lock him up before the end of the season and perhaps jettison Michael Barrow. Reports are that a deal between the club and Pierce is getting close. This would be a good sign of stability from a team that has simply undergone too much change in recent seasons to be successful.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins position preview: Defensive end
- Will RG3 benefit from an improved Redskins O-line?
- Redskins offseason Q&A: Who starts at strong safety?
- Six Redskins over 30 will play key roles in 2015
- Enemy Intel: Can the Redskins exploit a young Rams O-line?
- Will the Redskins' special teams improve in 2015?
- Redskins position preview: Inside linebacker
- Five Redskins who need to step up in 2015
- Best of the Best: Charley Taylor vs. Sean Taylor
- Best of the Best: John Riggins vs. Clinton Portis