Dec 19, 2004, 1:56 PM EDT
The Redskins aren’t dead just yet.
I did say it would be Monday before I used the P-word again, but a fan who goes by Kevin Mac posted what needs to happen for the Redskins to make it on the site that this blog proudly calls home, WarpathInsiders.com.
We need 6 of the following 7 teams to finish with 9 loses. Obviously we must win our last two games, which would eliminate Dallas and give Minnesota a loss, and this is reflected in the list.
In order to catch (and therefore pass) each team, the following needs to happen:
Minnesota lose next 2 (@ Detroit & vs Green Bay)
Rams* lose 2 of 3 (@ Arizona, vs Philly, vs Jets)
Panthers lose @ Tampa or vs New Orleans
Tampa lose once (vs NO, vs Carolina, @ Arizona)
Detroit lose once (vs Minnesota, vs Chicago, @ Tennessee)
Chicago lose once (vs Houston, @ Detroit, vs Green Bay)
Saints lose once (@Tampa, vs Atlanta, @ Carolina)
*Should the Rams win 2 of 3, we need Seattle to lose their remaining games (@ Jets, vs Arizona, vs Atlanta)
The only thing to add here is that for the Redskins to beat out the Rams in the aspects of the tiebreaker that can be determined now, the two Rams losses must be against Arizona and Philly. Otherwise, they will finish with the same conference record as Washington and the Rams will take the tiebreaker based on record in common games.
On the face of it, all of this is unlikely but not impossible. Certainly the Redskins can beat the Cowboys and have a good chance against the Vikings, who do not play well outdoors in September, much less in January. The teams that need to lose one of three are almost certain to do so. Nobody in that group is going to run the table.
That means that two of the three other teams must fall to 7-9. That’s improbable, but still possible. Stay tuned. It ain’t over ’till it’s over.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Demaryius Thomas to Josh Norman: Where's your Super Bowl ring?
- Josh Norman on increased attention: I'm no longer the underdog
- Redskins RB Matt Jones on shoulder rehab: I'm making big strides
- Jay Gruden: Josh Doctson may play in Redskins' opening game
- Joe Theismann reacts to RG3 tattoo, points out he's 'not even divorced yet'
- Starbucks butchered Redskins rookie Su'a Cravens name so bad he now uses a pseudonym
- Jones says he's feeling better, praises Redskins' other running backs
- Reports: Cowboys' Dez Bryant suffers concussion, will miss preseason game
- Redskins Playbook: Battle for running back reps is on
- Redskins’ left guard competition still undecided