Dec 19, 2004, 1:56 PM EDT
The Redskins aren’t dead just yet.
I did say it would be Monday before I used the P-word again, but a fan who goes by Kevin Mac posted what needs to happen for the Redskins to make it on the site that this blog proudly calls home, WarpathInsiders.com.
We need 6 of the following 7 teams to finish with 9 loses. Obviously we must win our last two games, which would eliminate Dallas and give Minnesota a loss, and this is reflected in the list.
In order to catch (and therefore pass) each team, the following needs to happen:
Minnesota lose next 2 (@ Detroit & vs Green Bay)
Rams* lose 2 of 3 (@ Arizona, vs Philly, vs Jets)
Panthers lose @ Tampa or vs New Orleans
Tampa lose once (vs NO, vs Carolina, @ Arizona)
Detroit lose once (vs Minnesota, vs Chicago, @ Tennessee)
Chicago lose once (vs Houston, @ Detroit, vs Green Bay)
Saints lose once (@Tampa, vs Atlanta, @ Carolina)
*Should the Rams win 2 of 3, we need Seattle to lose their remaining games (@ Jets, vs Arizona, vs Atlanta)
The only thing to add here is that for the Redskins to beat out the Rams in the aspects of the tiebreaker that can be determined now, the two Rams losses must be against Arizona and Philly. Otherwise, they will finish with the same conference record as Washington and the Rams will take the tiebreaker based on record in common games.
On the face of it, all of this is unlikely but not impossible. Certainly the Redskins can beat the Cowboys and have a good chance against the Vikings, who do not play well outdoors in September, much less in January. The teams that need to lose one of three are almost certain to do so. Nobody in that group is going to run the table.
That means that two of the three other teams must fall to 7-9. That’s improbable, but still possible. Stay tuned. It ain’t over ’till it’s over.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Full contact livens up Monday practice for Redskins (VIDEO)
- Redskins camp news and notes, Day 5--Last live drills of the year?
- DeSean Jackson: Eagles fans 'booed their own players'
- Deion Sanders stops by Redskins training camp (VIDEO)
- 20 fantasy football sleepers for the 2014-2015 season
- Gruden liked 'live' hitting sessions, but won't do it often
- Bruce Allen calls playing RG3 early in 2013 "disrespectful"
- Redskins training camp report, day 5: Things get chippy
- Jay Gruden on the first day of hitting (VIDEO)
- Pierre Garçon injured during Redskins training camp