Dec 19, 2004, 1:56 PM EDT
The Redskins aren’t dead just yet.
I did say it would be Monday before I used the P-word again, but a fan who goes by Kevin Mac posted what needs to happen for the Redskins to make it on the site that this blog proudly calls home, WarpathInsiders.com.
We need 6 of the following 7 teams to finish with 9 loses. Obviously we must win our last two games, which would eliminate Dallas and give Minnesota a loss, and this is reflected in the list.
In order to catch (and therefore pass) each team, the following needs to happen:
Minnesota lose next 2 (@ Detroit & vs Green Bay)
Rams* lose 2 of 3 (@ Arizona, vs Philly, vs Jets)
Panthers lose @ Tampa or vs New Orleans
Tampa lose once (vs NO, vs Carolina, @ Arizona)
Detroit lose once (vs Minnesota, vs Chicago, @ Tennessee)
Chicago lose once (vs Houston, @ Detroit, vs Green Bay)
Saints lose once (@Tampa, vs Atlanta, @ Carolina)
*Should the Rams win 2 of 3, we need Seattle to lose their remaining games (@ Jets, vs Arizona, vs Atlanta)
The only thing to add here is that for the Redskins to beat out the Rams in the aspects of the tiebreaker that can be determined now, the two Rams losses must be against Arizona and Philly. Otherwise, they will finish with the same conference record as Washington and the Rams will take the tiebreaker based on record in common games.
On the face of it, all of this is unlikely but not impossible. Certainly the Redskins can beat the Cowboys and have a good chance against the Vikings, who do not play well outdoors in September, much less in January. The teams that need to lose one of three are almost certain to do so. Nobody in that group is going to run the table.
That means that two of the three other teams must fall to 7-9. That’s improbable, but still possible. Stay tuned. It ain’t over ’till it’s over.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins NT Barry Cofield returns to practice
- [PHOTOS]: The 25 worst uniforms in college football
- Rookies Moses and Long move to the right side of Redskins' O-line
- RG3: 'I said what I needed to say'
- Jay Gruden 'doubtful' for Redskins-Ravens? (VIDEO)
- Gruden: Redskins defenders must deal with new rules emphasis
- What to watch: Redskins work to adapt to new offense
- Redskins' Hall hopes RG3 will learn to stay safe
- OPEN THREAD: Will Redskins rookie deliver in key spot?
- Redskins' Gruden looks for big impact from Jason Hatcher