Dec 14, 2004, 6:49 PM EDT
The Quarterback Club will announce its Redskins Player of the Year award tonight. I got a ballot and several days ago, I asked for your suggestions as to how I should cast my ballot. Thanks to everyone who wrote and commented on message boards; there were some very compassionate and reasonable arguments made for all of the nominees.
The ballot asked you to rank the four nominees for the award from 1 through four. Here’s is how I rated them and why:
4. Antonio Pierce–He got the most passionate arguments from all of you and while he’s a great story he simply hasn’t had the impact on the field that the other three have had. If it was “Redskin of the Year”, he might get my top vote, but in judging him with the word “Player” in the award I didn’t think it was right to take his story into account.
3. Shawn Springs–He’s been all over the place making the big plays and has not been burned very often. You can’t ask a cornerback to do much more than that.
2. Fred Smoot–I pretty much flipped a coin between Springs and Smoot for #2 and #3. You can ditto what I said about Springs and apply it to Smoot.
1. Cornelius Griffin–The defense starts on the line and the line starts with Griffin. Without him doing what he did, Pierce, Springs, and Smoot would not have been able to play as well as they have. He’s been the proverbial wrecking crew in the middle there and that’s been the key to the stellar performance of the defense this year.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins Playbook: How serious is Jamison Crowder's injury situation?
- Need to Know: Numbers game on Redskins O-line is taking shape
- Demaryius Thomas to Josh Norman: Where's your Super Bowl ring?
- Josh Norman on increased attention: I'm no longer the underdog
- Redskins RB Matt Jones on shoulder rehab: I'm making big strides
- Jay Gruden: Josh Doctson may play in Redskins' opening game
- Joe Theismann reacts to RG3 tattoo, points out he's 'not even divorced yet'
- Starbucks butchered Redskins rookie Su'a Cravens name so bad he now uses a pseudonym
- Jones says he's feeling better, praises Redskins' other running backs
- Reports: Cowboys' Dez Bryant suffers concussion, will miss preseason game