Dec 3, 2004, 12:55 PM EDT
In last week’s Gameblog (which, by the way, won’t be going the next two weeks as I go to the home games) I asked, “Who are these guys” when watching the play of Ryan Boschetti and Chris Clemons agains the Steelers. Paul Woody answered my questions in this morning’s Times-Dispatch
“Ryan Boschetti, for instance, is a rookie free agent. When he finished at UCLA, no one believed he was worth a draft choice. The Redskins signed him, but then didn’t believe he was worth a roster spot when training camp ended, and they cut him. But they did put him on their practice squad.
And last week, when the Redskins had two roster spots open, Boschetti was promoted to fill one of them.
Sunday against Pittsburgh, the team many think is the class of the NFL this season, Boschetti had four tackles.
Chris Clemons, who spent last year on the Redskins’ injured reserve list, then was cut in training camp this season, was on the Cleveland Browns’ practice squad for six weeks. Facing a shortage of linebackers with Mike Barrow on injured reserve and LaVar Arrington out with a knee problem, the Redskins offered Clemons a job.
He accepted. Sunday against Pittsburgh, Clemons had a sack and a quarterback pressure.”
Those two players, along with such Pro Bowl perennials as Joe Salave’a, Brandon Noble, Demetric Evans and Lemar Marshall, are major contributors on the NFL’s second-ranked defense.
Gregg Williams and his staff have done some amazing work.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Eagles trade Barkley, what does this mean for Tebow?
- Chris Thomspon reveals secret to healthy offseason, and secure roster spot
- Redskins 2015 roster cuts tracker
- Redskins WR Ross: 'I gave it my all'
- Griffin to see two specialists Friday
- Gruden talks about Redskins on the bubble
- Roster Bubble: Did Jackson Jeffcoat do enough to make the 53?
- Redskins drop preseason finale despite effort from Ross
- Redskins Pulse: Colt leads Redskins in preseason finale
- Bubble watch final version: Predicting the Redskins’ 53-man roster