Nov 29, 2004, 6:08 PM EDT
I mentioned the cap hit that Chris Samuels’ contract might create in the coming season and promised an explaination. Here it is, according to PC, the resident salary cap wizard at this blog’s home site, WarpathInsiders.com.
Remember that Samuels can void the last year of his contract (2006) at any time.
IMHO he WILL do this at the end of this season to pressure the Redskins into either negotiating a new contract, trading him or releasing him outright…………or if we are prepared to take the cap hit that follows his decision he would be a free agent in 2006.
In any of these scenario’s Samuels and his agent have the upper hand.
At some point in the next two years Samuels will be line for what he and his agent thinks will be a SIGNIFICANT contract…..along the lines of Ogden and Pace.
Samuels is due to count $9.643m against the 2005 cap AT THIS STAGE.
After Samuels voids the 2006 year of his contract the prorated signing bonus for 2006 (minus the Deion Sanders cap charge credit) accelerates into 2005.
The cap charge for Samuels then increases by $2.218m to $11.861m in 2005.
Now if we trade or release Samuels in 2005 (before his workout bonus is due and after he voids his 2006 year) we would take a 2005 dead cap hit of $4.426m – which means we would save over $7.4m against the 2005 cap.
This makes it almost as plain as the nose on your face that trading Samuels for a 1st round pick means that we not only get compensation for the player, but we are then able to use some of the cap savings to afford to cut Brunell.
Trading Gardner as well, would mean we eliminate all our overpriced vs performance players except maybe for Lavar who I have more faith in living up to his numbers than Samuels, Gardner or certainly Brunell.
I just need to make this clear to people talking about the Samuels situation.
To me this is a leading NFL QB type cap hit – not one for a very solid OL.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Lack of ties to current players helps Redskins GM make evaluations
- OPEN THREAD: No help for Redskins offensive line until NFL Draft?
- Redskins face high roster turnover again in 2015
- Why the Redskins might not want to trade down in the draft
- Rich Tandler talks RG3 as the starter on PFT Live
- NFL takes away draft pick from 2015 Redskins opponent
- McCloughan wants Johnson to bring Seattle's swagger to Skins
- Redskins Draft Countdown: Duke G Laken Tomlinson
- Who were the best players taken with the No. 5 pick in the NFL draft?
- OPEN THREAD: Does drug test impact Redskins interest in Randy Gregory?