Nov 27, 2004, 3:08 PM EST
When you watch Ola Kimrin, who virtually just gotten off of a plane from Sweden, kick two field goals that provided the game-winning margin in a 13-10 win over the Bears you have to wonder why the Redskins shelled out a $1.6 million signing bonus to John Hall before the 2003 season.
Of course, we got the answer over the course of the next few games as Kimrin couldn’t hit consistently from outside of 40 yards. The problem didn’t seem to be leg strength as he was rarely short on his longer attempts, but accuracy as they were wide of the mark. His longest field goal was 41 yards.
Kimrin was released yesterday after the team confirmed that Hall’s groin pull had healed. As most kickers do, Kimrin took the news well.
I thought he (Hall) would be back after a week so I can’t really complain. I would like to have a better percentage, but hopefully I showed something. Maybe I’ll get a shot somewhere else.
It’s that potential “shot somewhere else” that keeps hope alive for kickers across the nation. Whether he returns to his native Sweden or hangs around stateside, Kimrin undoubtedly will try to get his hands on whatever film there is of his kicking and study his technique to see if he can uncover the flaw that sends his strong kicks off line. He’ll have his friends avoiding him as they know he’s going to beg them to serve as his holder while he works the kinks out. Given his performance over the past month it’s unlikely that his “shot” will come this season, but his agent will be hard at work trying to get him a spot on a training camp roster.
Follow Us On Twitter
- DeSean Jackson 'I'll take the odds on me any day'
- Dunbar: 'Bone was sticking out' after injury vs. Giants
- Redskins' hold off Giants late for big division victory
- Redskins in control, lead the Giants 17-0 at half
- Giants lose key OL starter to broken leg in 1st half vs. Skins
- DeMaurice Smith discusses state of NFL's concussion protocol
- Redskins Pulse: NFC East showdown
- Inactives: Robinson out for the Redskins vs. Giants
- Need to Know: Five final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants
- 5 stats you need to know for Redskins vs. Giants