Nov 26, 2004, 3:26 PM EST
Rich Tandler is the author of Gut Check, The Complete History of Coach Joe Gibbs’ Washington Redskins. Get details and order at <a href="
Will Gibbs Let Ramsey Open Up?
I’ve been struggling all week to come up with an apt description for the passing game the Redskins displayed last Sunday in Philadelphia. Something like “stone age” was on the list, but Patrick Ramsey threw 34 times, so it wasn’t quite from the leather helmet era. “Conservative” was a little better, but most of those throws were even less risky than that.
What I came up with was something in between “first game of preseason” and “first practice at training camp.” These were drills, not passing plays designed to win a football game.
Certainly, Gibbs had his reasons for doing this. He didn’t want Ramsey to get sacked and he wanted to build his confidence, the crawl before you can walk before you can run theory. That’s all well and good, but last Sunday wasn’t even crawling when it came to the passing game; it was barely rolling over unassisted.
So, it’s into Pittsburgh this Sunday for another game where the Redskins are a double-digit underdog against a one-loss team. The only difference is that the Steelers have the top-ranked defense in the NFL as opposed to the Eagles middle-of-the-pack unit. That would seem to indicate another day of hitches, wide receiver screens, and the other dinks and dunks that made watching last week’s game such a thrill.
Follow Us On Twitter
- To get the Redskins to the Super Bowl, McCloughan must change team's DNA
- Pro Football Hall of Fame elects class of 2015
- Patriots or Seahawks? Tandler and Tarik give their predictions
- NFLPA chief says salary cap will be higher than league projection
- John Riggins joins STL on the 32nd anniversary of Super Bowl XVII
- Former Eagles coach shares memories of competing with Joe Gibbs
- Catch John Riggins on SportsTalk Live tonight at 10 p.m.!
- Take your pick! CSN makes Super Bowl predictions
- Will Morris sign a second contract with the Redskins?
- Will the Redskins hold on to NT Cofield?