Nov 24, 2004, 3:27 AM EDT
Rich Tandler is the author of Gut Check, The Complete History of Coach Joe Gibbs’ Washington Redskins. Get details and order at http://GutCheckBook.com
As always in this apace, here is a look back at my predictions for the previous game. I’ve rarely been more dead on than I was this week.
After going through some reasons why many thought the Redskins could win, I got to the heart of it:
All of this adds up to, well, not much. I don’t buy the trap and peaking too soon theories or, more specifically, I don’t think that they’re factors. Even if they are off of their top game considerably, the Eagles will have more than enough to beat the Redskins. Portis should rack up some decent yardage, but I don’t see Ramsey being consistently sharp enough to take full advantage. That means that the Eagles won’t have to execute their one trick very often to score enough.
The “one trick” I referred to was McNabb to Owens. And that one TD connection was enough to win the game. I was off on Portis’ production as 37 yards can’t be considered “decent” but right on about Ramsey. He had some drops by receivers, but his performance could by no means be defined as “sharp”.
I rate how much water my predictions held by giving each from one to five buckets. A one-bucket prediction was way off base. One that held five buckets was crystal-ball material.
That amalgam of omniscience gets four buckets, losing the one for thinking that Portis would do better than he did.
Following that up, however, is a five-bucket call. While I didn’t get the score exactly right, the game went exactly as I thought it would.
The Redskins should be able to hang on into the third quarter, but a big play by Philly will break it open in the second half.
Eagles 24, Redskins 10
Follow Us On Twitter
- Tom Compton to replace Tyler Polumbus at right tackle
- Redskins getting close to full health
- RG3 quotes Churchill, leaves door open to playing vs. Dallas
- OPEN THREAD: Can Amerson, Breeland slow down Dez Bryant?
- With Riley on the mend, Will Compton could return to bench
- Breeland plans to get physical with Cowboys' Bryant
- Brian Westbrook talks Alfred Morris, DeMarco Murray, and the Ravens
- Trent Murphy looking to become playmaker for Redskins
- How has McCoy's relationship with Cousins, RG3 changed?
- Hatcher: 'No extra emotions involved, just another game'