Nov 18, 2004, 6:44 PM EDT
Rich Tandler is the author of Gut Check, The Complete History of Coach Joe Gibbs’ Washington Redskins. Get details and order at http://GutCheckBook.com
Said Joe Gibbs of Darnerien McCants in today’s Post
I think he is a playmaker. He’s a big guy with really good hands and I think deceptively on deep balls he’s very good, also. So it was good seeing him get in there and make some plays for us, and hopefully that will continue and hopefully we can find ways to play him more in the offense. I think now that he’s up [dressing for games], I think we can do that and that’s to his credit: If you make plays you’re going to play.
The Redskins knew that McCants was a playmaker when they kept him off of the restricted free agent market by giving him a three-year, $4.5 million contract. In the preseason, he caught a long touchdown bomb from, yes, Mark Brunell.
Due to an inability to play special teams (the public reason) and poor practice habits (the private reason), McCants was active for just one game until Sunday. Whether his insertion into the game during a fourth-quarter drive was the cause of the team scoring its only touchdown of the day or if was a mere coincidence, time will tell. From what Gibbs says, it looks like he will give us some chances to find out.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Skins' confident in Cousins (VIDEO)
- Redskins WR DeSean Jackson might play in Philly
- Gruden won't speculate about future RG3 vs. Cousins questions
- VIDEO: Gruden lays out all details about RG3 timetable
- Griffin will be in a cast; Gruden optimistic on return this season
- Riley applauds 'deepest team' he's been on after 41-10 win
- Clark: Jaguars game not a barometer for quality of Redskins' defense
- Investigating what happened to RG3's t-shirt after Jags win
- After two game ban, Brandon Meriweather returns to Redskins Park
- Griffin: 'Positive news' on ankle injury