Nov 5, 2004, 1:57 AM EDT
On NFL Live, Chris Mortensen was asked if Steve Spurrier would get another shot at the NFL since he’s decided not to return to the University of Florida:
If the Miami Dolphins fire Dave Wannstadt and call Steve Spurrier and say, listen, we want you as our coach, I think it’s going to be tough for him to say no. I think he still wants to prove he can win in the NFL, there are still some NFL executives that think he can win in the NFL. But I don’t know that he’s number 1 on the Dolphins’ list, their general manager said he is not monitoring the situation, so there’s still a question if the door is actually going to open for him.
Mark Schlereth then said, “I can’t imagine anyone in the NFL giving Spurrier a chance right now.” He cited the Ballcoach’s lack of willingness to do what it takes to prepare (meaning that Spurrier wouldn’t put in the time needed to get the job done) and his choice of a coaching staff was highly questionable (meaning that he hired a bunch of college guys when he needed some pro experience).
I’ve heard these of these “NFL executives” who think that Spurrier can cut it in the pros before. It’s my guess that they are among the Dan Snyder haters in the league who just think that he was in the wrong situation. While it’s true that the Redskins organization isn’t the model NFL outfit, nobody can make a reasonable case that Spurrier wasn’t given what he needed to win.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Knighton's decision to bet on himself impressed Redskins
- Comments of the Week: Who said what about RG3?
- Lack of ties to current players helps Redskins GM make evaluations
- Redskins Draft Countdown: Penn State safety Adrian Amos
- OPEN THREAD: No help for Redskins offensive line until NFL Draft?
- Redskins face high roster turnover again in 2015
- Why the Redskins might not want to trade down in the draft
- Rich Tandler talks RG3 as the starter on PFT Live
- NFL takes away draft pick from 2015 Redskins opponent
- McCloughan wants Johnson to bring Seattle's swagger to Skins