Nov 5, 2004, 1:57 AM EDT
On NFL Live, Chris Mortensen was asked if Steve Spurrier would get another shot at the NFL since he’s decided not to return to the University of Florida:
If the Miami Dolphins fire Dave Wannstadt and call Steve Spurrier and say, listen, we want you as our coach, I think it’s going to be tough for him to say no. I think he still wants to prove he can win in the NFL, there are still some NFL executives that think he can win in the NFL. But I don’t know that he’s number 1 on the Dolphins’ list, their general manager said he is not monitoring the situation, so there’s still a question if the door is actually going to open for him.
Mark Schlereth then said, “I can’t imagine anyone in the NFL giving Spurrier a chance right now.” He cited the Ballcoach’s lack of willingness to do what it takes to prepare (meaning that Spurrier wouldn’t put in the time needed to get the job done) and his choice of a coaching staff was highly questionable (meaning that he hired a bunch of college guys when he needed some pro experience).
I’ve heard these of these “NFL executives” who think that Spurrier can cut it in the pros before. It’s my guess that they are among the Dan Snyder haters in the league who just think that he was in the wrong situation. While it’s true that the Redskins organization isn’t the model NFL outfit, nobody can make a reasonable case that Spurrier wasn’t given what he needed to win.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'
- Redskins G Shawn Lauvao is progressing, but can he reclaim his starting job?
- Need to Know: Is Jackson's absence from some Redskins OTAs an issue?
- No brawl, just competition between Josh Norman and Kirk Cousins
- Kirk Cousins is comfortable taking 'ownership' of Redskins' offense now
- Redskins teammates already putting Jordan Reed in elite class
- Redskins rookie WR Josh Doctson held out of OTAs
- Gruden on DeSean Jackson missing OTAs: He will probably show up